No Sugar Added

While I’m super pumped for more snow(sorry not sorry- we like to play in it!) I know that snow days really throw off my rhythm in a cray cray way!  I’m all bustin’ out of bed at 5am, getting’ my momma hustle sweat on the treadmill, starting the day with Alecia Keys and “This Girl is on Fire” with big aspirations to rock this morning routine with the boy, and bust through at least half of my to-do list in the office, totally feeling optimistic because the massive snow storm that the news casters got us all flying to Hannaford like it’s Black Friday for milk and eggs really didn’t turn out to be such a doosey so I know it’s just going to be a delay!  Phone rings at 5:30am, per usual and I’m right on the money!

Perfect!!!  Aaden’s making breakfast—scrambled eggs for two and a side of spinach for momma—we even managed to bust out a few of the 30 Valentines that were assigned on Monday to be completed for Thursday(NBD).  “Bus will be here in 30!  Brush your teeth, chapstick on, pack your bag, did you get your gloves?  Aaden, you need BOTH gloves”….

Phone rings… wait for it… full snow day!  While my excitement for him is visually apparent, my internals are screaming “WTF”.  What?  I know yours were, too… unless you are a teacher(ps- I love teachers, for realz). So here we are…it’s 8:30am, Aaden’s energy level went from the usually tazmanian devil to a tazmanian devil on twinkies and he has the 130lb Great Dane in my living room chasing him and already begging and pleady for screentime.  I give him two options: 1- Go outside with the dog 2- Go upstairs and get on the treadmill and burn some of that star quality energy

While he is getting his superman status on upstairs, this momma has a to-do list, remote access and has to make arrangements for the unexpected snow day we have been blessed with(Thank the Universe for a boss & career that is supportive and flexible), and in the back of my mind I know my sweet boy will be down any minute begging for Fortnite, his favorite Captain Underpants Show and pleading that Prodigy is a great learning tool! 

Oh, the screentime struggle!  Does anyone else have this struggle, too?  Is it just me?  Is it because I limited it too much or not enough?  If I would let him play prodigy and Fortnite all day, he would let me give every single toy in his entire room away, I think.  Actually, I could probably just do it without him even noticing.  I don’t even know if he should be playing Fortnite, some experts(and yes, I’ve asked many therapists, fellow moms, and done my motherly investigations) say “yes, with limitations” and some say “it really depends on the child and your awareness and limitations, bladdy bladdy blah!”

Now c’mon, I know that going out in the snow and playing is a fantastic option for him today(and me!  Can’t wait for later but remember I have a job to do from home now).  Shoveling the two doorsteps is also an option.  Emptying the compost for his momma is on the list too and certainly don’t forget he still has 25 more Valentine’s Day cards to make before the end of the day.  All of these options, including the 500 toys and 300 books he has in his room are fantastic! He will do and play with all of these things, chase the dog around the yard, make a trail in the woods with his snowshoes, destroy the living room making the coolest fort for him to draw in, probably twice and once he is done with each, had enough, bored of it, he will ask me for more screen time. 

While this momma takes screentime limits incredibly serious around here because I know how important it is to do so, today, I have a feeling that for my own level of sanity and those around me, there will be an increase in the daily dosage for the little Mr., mid day meditation for momma, lots of deep breaths and certainly, no added sugar!




Comments

Popular Posts