We Did Name her Rogue

Mondays I work a full day and teach a spin class in the late afternoon.  On this day my son also needed to be at work a bit before my class began.  As usual, we planned our day accordingly.  About thirty minutes before we needed to leave the house our playful Great Dane, Rogue, decided to go on an adventure with our neighbors Husky’s.  It’s not typical for our girl to take off so of course this caused immediate stress and anxiety.  On top of knowing that we needed to leave shortly to make it to our commitments, the worse possible case scenarios were also whirling in my head; “what if she goes into the road?” “What if she gets into a fight with another dog?” “What if, what if…” and so on. 

My son and I spent a solid twenty minutes in pure panic, running around the house like lunatics in the 95-degree humidity.  I was trying to call the cycling studio owner SOS and my calls were not going through.  Realizing that this was completely out of my control, I took a deep breath and thought “please dear universe (or god, or whatever you want to call it) just let her show up and let us get to our commitments on time” and we continued searching for her frantically (I certainly exclaimed a few colorful words here and there, I’m not going to lie). 

Twelve minutes to the hour a tired, hot and happy Rogue trots her way around the house and plops down in her favorite rest spot as if she’d been there the whole time.  As furious as I was at her, I gathered her up and into the house promptly, Aaden was delivered to work in the nick of time, and I made it to the studio with exactly 15 minutes to spare before class began. 

While I certainly would have opted for a less stressful afternoon, I accept that this was a lesson for us on how some things are just out of our control and our actions in those moments can make or break us!  If we can learn to breathe in these moments, stay levelheaded, let go, lead with love, trust the process, and take whatever feels like the next right action through the uncertainty and struggle, the outcome is always going to be in our favor. I’m not saying that it’s always going to work out just exactly as I hoped it would, I am saying that I believe the universe has my back and that whatever it is, it is all working out for my greater good. 



Comments

Popular Posts