Shameless Mom

Top 4 Lessons of 2018:
#1.  This girl has got to sweat-  I’m a sufferer of anxiety, I have A LOT of energy and I really like caffeine.  While there is great advantages to having lots of energy and feeling like superwomen after just the right amount of morning coffee, there’s also a lot of downfall to having anxiety, too much caffeine and a lack of healthy outlets.  Therefore, high-intensity cardio that makes you freaking sweat is not just something I do to stay fit, it’s a way of coping with the everyday stresses of life!

#2. I’m a Rockstar Mom-  I know I sure as heck didn’t sign up for self doubt, second guessing, comparing game, constant worry, and freaking rollercoaster of emotions that comes with being a mom when I decided to jump into parenting the most adorable boy I know. That being said, every decision I make as a mom is typically as well thought out as can be with the best information that I know and have. My boy chooses carrots and strawberries over cookies 80% of the time, he laughs multiple times a day, still asks me to lay with him a night, says please and thank you to strangers, and high fives the goalie he met for the first time on his soccer team when they let the other team score. He sticks up for 2nd graders on the bus and takes the time to teach his mom and nick how to “floss” and “dab”. Every time I look at him I feel so proud of the young boy he is becoming and I often times forget to feel proud about the hard work I’ve put in as his mother, every damn day. 2018 was a hard parenting year and I’ve learned a lot and one thing I’ll take into the new year is a little credit.

#3.  I am not superwoman- Ugh!  This one was really hard to admit. I would really like to be everything I can and do everything I can for everyone I can.  Truth is, if I’m not taking care of my needs, the core needs of me, I can’t do anything for anyone.  I’ve learned that sometimes my needs include asking for help.  For example, could someone please unload the dishwasher while I cook dinner, pack lunches, feed the dog, help with homework, oh and start pulling together the materials for Aaden’s festive sweater attire?  Sometimes this means giving up things that we are really holding onto that are just no longer serving us the way we need to provide more space in the calendar for self-care.  This one is a constant practice for me but I feel proud going into 2019 having retired the cape and finally found my voice.

#4.  Therapy isn't for sissies-  Ok, by now you might be thinking.. whoa- this girl is cray cray and her last year was WACK!  and this is only part true 😉.  I actually had an amazing year of personal development and growth.  I turned 30 this year(and my body freaking changed), I celebrated one year of marriage to an amazing husband after many years of co-parenting and living w/ Aaden alone, I made a pretty significant career change, and I FOR SURE bit off more than I could reasonably chew 95% of the time.  What I learned is that facing some of our biggest fears, challenges, and uncomfortably is freaking HARD.  Coping with sad news, making life changing decisions, and navigating big deal changes is no walk in the doggie park my friends.  So, masking those feelings with a maxed out schedule seems like a better alternative, right? When there are the really good days that I tell myself  I've totally got this and the therapy cray cray biz is for the birds, life happens and I'm quickly reminded to remember how I felt a year ago vs. today, I get out my gratitude journal and I write the top three things I am grateful for:
1. My Health
2. My Family & Friends
3. My Darn Good Therapist

Cheers to 2019, my friends and every new day that we get to gracefully keep working on being the best version of who we are.  #Shameless


Comments

Popular Posts