Challenge Accepted! #womensupportingwomen

When I opened up my Instagram and Facebook today I had two different greetings from women whom I have a lot of love and respect for.  It was one of those copy/pasted messages challenging me to post a black and white selfie to show my support for other women.  My knee jerk reaction was to find my best selfie and post it immediately, "of course I support women"!  "This challenge is MY JAM"!  I'm no stranger to selfies but today I hesitated a moment, considering my motivation to posting a pic of myself and desire to learn more about this hashtag #womensupportingwomen.

After much thought, I settled on showing my support by telling you a little bit about three of the women who have played a role in molding me into who I am today.  My mom wrote a lyric once that went like this "Ï come from a long line of angry women... "   I often think that our loud, fierce, strong, empowered selves were mistaken for anger and I think instead "Ï come from a long line of able women."

Meet my Aunt Pam:  She is the one all the way to the left here and when I think of her, leopard print and hot red lipstick come to mind. She has always been the fashionista in our family and rocked her own style, sexy and shamelessly.  Growing up, I remember watching her come into her career, working hard from home and moving her way up into leadership positions at nationally recognized non-profit organizations.  She was one of the first women to critique my resume and instilled a belief in me that I was "made for more".

Meet my Grammie:  She's the beautiful woman on the right.  My grandfather has told me on several occasions that she was the hardest working person he ever had on his fishing boat and I can remember times when I would watch her pick sea urchins from her hands.  I call my Grammie most days during the week and she always gives me the best, no BS advice. She has this way of talking you off the cliff and reminding you who the hell you are!   

Lastly, meet my Lala, AKA my madre:  This woman is a force.  She is one of the most talented musicians who can write lyrics that bring tears to my eyes.  Not only does she write her music but she plays it, too.  Her creativity is bigger than all of us and our weekly walks are like a SuperSoul Sunday with Oprah.  

#challengeaccepted my dear friends, and I raise you one!  Show your support for women by sharing the able, loud, fierce things we love about others and always embracing your own.  



Comments

Popular Posts