Gratitude Breeds Joy

It's Tuesday and I haven't ran since Friday and because I take serious pride in my "One Bad Mother Runner" title, you can imagine how I'm feeling- like I want to run.  The sun is coming up later in the mornings so running at 5AM is becoming more challenging, especially because I'm most afraid of skunks (we've had a few close calls recently).  Today I had planned to get in a run during Aaden's Travel Soccer practice but mother nature had other plans- pouring rain.  Practice was cancelled.  I could have came home and hopped on the dreadmill I suppose but I didn't....

Instead,  we were home before 5:30pm which is a very rare occasion on a week night and we made dinner before 6pm.  During the making of dinner process, we danced to todays pop hits and made lunches.  We chatted over dinner about math tests, salamander names(because the seven he's caught have already been named at least three times), what we would do if we went back to Disney on vacation, and how funny our complementary photo of the Tower of Terror was.  We weren't rushing through dinner to finish the homework to shower the body to brush the teeth to go to bed to wake up tomorrow and do it all over again.  We were simply eating, chatting and being in the present moment.

After dinner Aaden challenged and defeated me in a game of Sorry just before we had a living room dance party, which lead to lots of laughs and an AFV submission----



need I say more?

When I tucked Aaden into bed tonight, like I do every night, thoughtfully placing each of the six blankets he likes strategically on different parts of his body/bed, just before the request for one last drink of water and two more hugs, I felt an incredibly sense of joy. Sometimes life just calls for us to slow down and embrace the unplanned moments as those are the ones that remind us how to feel grateful and gratitude is a beautiful thing.


Comments

Popular Posts