My Marriage Marathon- Mile 1

Before I met my husband almost ten years ago my grandfather helped me get my first ever new car.  It was a beautiful, dark gray  Chevy Cruze with stick shift, 6-speed that only had 16 miles on it when I drove off the lot.  At the time I was a single mom and the fact that I was even able to afford that car and was trusted enough to make monthly payments on time was pretty awesome.  That car got me and my little boy everywhere we needed to be- work, daycare, soccer practices, doctor appointments trips to visit family, etc.

Fast forward eight years(ish), when my now husband, at the time fiance, suggested we get a new vehicle to meet the needs of our growing family....A.K.A.  Rogue, our big girl Great Dane! 

I reluctantly agreed.   Giving up that little sedan of mine was like giving up a big peice of my strong, independent self.  That was the first vehicle I had ever paid for on my own, the rockstar set of wheels that supported the heavy commutes of the first years of my professional career.  Aaden and I spent many hours in there together, just the two of us.  The stains on the back seats were memories of when Aaden was just learning to talk and walk, I was his changing diapers in the back seat during several hour trips to visit family, and he likely got sick back there a few times, or more!  It was "my" vehicle and agreeing to purchase an "OUR" family vehicle was a really big deal for me. 

Today I noticed a huge scratch down the side of our Toyota Highlander and I dreaded having to tell my hubby.  Maybe because he noticed a door ding yesterday he pointed out, or just maybe it was because I accidentally hit a Toyota Prius in Whole Foods a few months ago....

Lie I told myself-  My husband is going to be so mad at me, he is going to blame me for being a terrible, irresponsible driver who doesn't care about having nice things.

Truth-   Sure, my husband was disappointed and his suggestion to start parking further away from other cars in parking lots could probably have been saved for a few days later but he works really hard to have the things we are blessed with and he takes pride in taking good care of those things and wants his wife to be cruising in a nice, reliable vehicle.  He is not mad at me, he freaking LOVES me.

Soon, we will be celebrating our 1st anniversary(whoot whoot!), the first leg of our marriage marathon and I suspect that we will face much bigger challenges than door dings and fender benders. I look forward to working through each one of those with my favorite partner in crime, lover of my life, and most handsome husband!  And.... I promise to park as far away from everyone in the parking lot that I can- plus, 1,000 extra steps per day is known to improve mood and overall health- SCORE!





Comments

Popular Posts