The True Heros

It's the day before mothers day and I treated myself to an almost two minute personal record for time on my half marathon distance!  Not going to lie, it feels awesome! We runners train hard, eat healthy, rest well and prepare each day leading up to a race with the hope to do what I did today.

After a great race I was greeted at the finish by one of my best friends and my adorable six year old.  As we walked to the car, I reminded him nearly 12 times not to walk near the road for I feared he would be hit by one of the thousand cars, I asked him to please say excuse me as he belched out loud, and I patiently re-educated him to look both ways before crossing the road.  Right then and there I realized motherhood makes my half marathon PR look like a cake walk!   

There's no special training program for the marathon of motherhood.  Everyday I have new milestones to celebrate and new obstacles to overcome.  When I'm not overwhelmed with packing the healthiest lunch(and crossing my fingers he'll consume it), race car driving to Tball practices, parent teacher conferences, or his favorite movie on a Friday night, I'm likely plugging all the to-dos in my multiple calendars so that I'm not "that mom" who forgets to pack gym clothes on Tuesday.
And despite what feels like constant go-go, there's nothing comparable to the joy I feel when he shares the amazing things he is learning, I watch him swing the baseball bat on point, and having the opportunity to share a bowl of popcorn and laughter over a late night movie showing.

There is no course or distance that's more challenging, unpredictable and incredibly rewarding than that of being a mom so to all the strong mommas out there: celebrate yourself today,  tomorrow and everyday because you work the hardest of them all! You are someones hero! 
                                                       

Comments

Popular Posts