Celebrating 6!


As I prepare to celebrate my sweet little dudes 6th birthday I am feeling like it’s impossible to be true.  I keep asking myself “Do I REALLY have a six year old?!?” and despite my efforts to deny,  it’s truer than true- my Aad will be a whoppin’ six years old in one week and this momma just wants to press the “pause” button and hug him a little harder.  

This past year I was warned by many fellow mommas that when the kiddos hit school aged years, it’s a blur and the time you want to hold still just flies by.  We just celebrated his 100th day of school as a Kindergartner this week by counting 100 pieces of macaroni, Q-tips and cotton balls. I admired proudly as he counted each one himself all the way to 100 and there’s no denying that he has grown in so many ways and the school year is indeed going by quickly. 

We were also just recently blessed with four school snow days in the span of three weeks- the kind of snow days that you cannot actually go outside and enjoy it because you may not survive- thanks mother nature!  I've always had a great deal of respect for teachers and childcare providers who spend so much time with our beautiful children and I'll tell you.... after many hours of pipe cleaner activities, go fish games, cardboard recyclable crafts, sight word practice sessions and melty bead creations I found that I gained an all new appreciation for teachers- AAAAAAAMAZING people!  I would safely make the assumption that Aaden also feels this way as after the fourth 12-hour day inside together Aaden turned to me during our Spice Girls Nation dance party and said “Mom, I think that’s enough! Could you please just be quiet and sit down?”.  #ouch 

As a #motherrunner who has many goals for my beautiful son, one is that he will enjoy team sports just as much as I did.... judging by his elegant ballerina twirls on the basketball court during Saturday morning practices, he may not ever make the all-star hoops team but he’s really amazing at making me laugh when he looks over at me and gives me that “whoops, I almost forget where I was for a second” look.  That’s about all it takes for me to forget that he’s the only child not running the drill with his coach and teammates.  He would also much rather do a mad science project that involves eggs and vinegar than kick a soccer ball with me despite my effort to channel his inner athlete but he’s pretty darn expert at reminding me of the wonderful boy he is when he sticks up for his friends on the playground.  Whatever he so chooses to enjoy in life, It is my hope that he will put his whole, kind heart into it. 

I’m not certain where the time goes and why so quickly, but I am certain that I have been incredibly blessed to have such an intelligent, respectful, charming young boy with the biggest heart and personaility as my son and I’m always going to be proud of him.  As we enter the 6th year of his life, I’m excited to sit back, sip coffee from my favorite mug and watch him continue to grow…..... who am I kidding?!?!? I’m excited to hit the ground sprinting, chug my coffee, sign up for the next team sport to try, learn 20 new sight words, visit new places, read lots of books, try new things and soak up every amazing moment I have with him. 
Cheers to another year of growing, learning, and laughing with the sweetest dude I know! 


Comments

Popular Posts