The Happiness Treadmill

Aside from the simple thought of a warm, dark roasted coffee that's perfectly sweetened with my favorite french vanilla almond milk at 5am, what is it that gets this girl out of bed?! Maybe it's the load of laundry in the dryer that should be folded before I leave for work, or the dishes I hand washed the night before that must be put away before I leave? Nah, it's got to be the 35 minutes of space heater "hot yoga" I get to solely enjoy before my most adorable five year old wakes with morning breath and an empty belly asking if he really HAS to go to school and if so, can he please please please take 13 toys with him.

Today I had the opportunity to spend four hours with mostly strangers learning about our core values and how it has an affect on who we are, our relationships, and what we do both personally and professionally in our every day lives.  Writing down our most important core values and arranging them in a way that is an organizational chart for what makes you who you are, what drives the work that you do, what it is exactly that makes you get up every morning and take care of your children, yourself, go to work, search for the perfect job, spend time with friends, or maybe attend a church on Sundays.

If you know me or have spent any time with me you know I am an advocate for this kind of work thanks to an amazing woman in my life who introduced me to this way of thinking. Vision boards, inspiring quotes, value centered goals, the law of attraction, positive thinking creates and stimulates positive results, etc.  

"The Happiness Treadmill" is what we are all on.  Running along with the hope that we will reach the most common core value, happiness. "I'll be happy when my son sleeps through the entire night" "I'll be happy when I get a raise" or "I'll be happy when I no longer need to do this... Or that". Relying on this events to determine our happiness. 

Readers, I propose that you jump off the happiness treadmill this year and run your own FULL happiness marathon! Live in the moment and when you start to catch yourself slipping back onto that dreaded treadmill, remind yourself what you're truly grateful for in that very moment. 

With my happiness marathon in mind and a vision board I construct each year, I have also created a list of to dos for 2015:

1. Write: everyday write down 5 things that you're grateful for.
2. Be present and remember to live in the moment: while on the pursuit of happiness, stop and think about what your grateful for right now, in this very moment.
3. Identify: identify people in your life who matter and tell them.
4. Maintain positive outlook always because it's not only much healthier, it's much more fun.
5. Stay true to you: trust your instincts. 
6. Teach all of this to my adorable little boy.  
 
Happiness. Love. Family. Friendships. Health. Kindness. Balance. Simplify. Presence. Learn. Strength.

Best wishes of a happy and healthy new year to all. 
XO Reegan 


Comments

Popular Posts