#RunME


Each race means something different to each runner who participates.  Each person you encounter along the course is in it for something different and for a reason that is unknown to you but still thrilling and motivating.  Five years ago, I participated in my first half marathon taking on the 13.1 mile Maine Half Marathon course. I encountered thousands of people who had at least one thing in common with me- the love of running.  Although that day the 10-16 weeks of hard work was now behind me , I had followed my training plan to T, and managed to reach the start line uninjured, I still remember feeling unprepared and worried I might pee my pants(no, really!!).  Good news-  I didn’t pee my pants and instead I crossed the finish line strong, with a smile on my face and anxious to greet my amazing fan club that year.    Although I will never forget the anxiety, I will also never forget the self-accomplishment and pride I felt when I finished.  It was that day that I realized the true potential of all people and most importantly, myself. 

Every year since, I have participated in the Maine Half Marathon  and done so with only one goal in mind: self-improvement.  This is a beautiful thing about running-  It doesn’t matter how “fast” or “slow” I am going because I only have to report to myself on my performance. Running has taught me the importance of goal setting, focus and determination not only with running but also in life.  Although there’s times(lots of times) where I may feel like I’m pushing my booty up Lombard(County Babes, you know what I mean) at a turtle pace,  I always have the ability to just take a step back, breathe and remember persistence and patience pays off.

After five years and having shaved almost 11 minutes off my time, I’ve learned that improvement and change does not happen overnight and is definitely not easy but it is indeed a journey well worth being on! I’m so thankful for all of the amazing people I have met along my journey who provide support and motivation whether they realize it or not.  I run for ME and to become the best version of ME as a mother, daughter, friend, and the athlete that I am.   
 
2010 Finish Time:  1:54:10
2011 Finish Time:  1:57:00
2012 Finish Time:  1:48:08
2013 Finish Time:  1:45:22
2014 Finish Time:  1:44:17

 
My BESTIE, Neile, was cut out of this photo- LOVE YOU for being there!!! XO

 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts